The Ferraria lighthouse was established on October 22, 1901. It is located at the westernmost tip of the Island of S. Miguel. The tower is 18 meters high and 107 meters high. It was equipped with a rotating, 3-order, large model (500mm focal length) lenticular, rotating catopioptric diopter, the light source being a constant level lamp, later replaced by incandescence by petroleum vapor. Optical rotation was produced by the watchmaking machine and the headlamp's luminous range was 26 miles.