“Igreja da Nossa Senhora da Assunção” (Our Lady of Ascension Church), the mother church, whose construction began near the end of the 15th century.
The Convent of Saint Francis which currently houses some public services, was founded in 1607, destroyed by pirates in 1616 and reconstructed in 1725. Attached to the convent is “Nossa Senhora da Vitória” (Our Lady of Victory), with its’ beautiful panel of tiles (17th century) depicting the miracles of Santo António.
The “São Brás” Fort, constructed in defence of the town and the Santa Maria Museum which exhibits interesting works in weaving and pottery (Santo Espírito).
The “Igreja da Nossa Senhora da Purificação” (Our Lady of Purification Church) in “Santo Espírito” with its’ baroque façade and country tiles from the XVI century is the most beautiful on the island.