Arnel Lighthouse

The Arnel Lighthouse, located at the tip of the Arnel, in the extreme northeast of the island of São Miguel, started operating on November 26, 1876, and was the first lighthouse located in the Autonomous Region of the Azores. It was built at the end of the 19th century in a context of modernization of the county, by the hand of the great worker of the Northeast, António Alves de Oliveira.

The Arnel Lighthouse has undergone several improvements and adaptations over the years, which have enabled it to reach today maintaining its functions and constituting a landmark in the heritage of the county of the Northeast.

Throughout the year, guided visits are offered to the Lighthouse of the Arnel, being able the visitors to know the history and the heritage, as well as the activity of the lighthouse and the lighthouse keeper. In the Lighthouse of the Arnel can still be appreciated a permanent exhibition on the lighthouses of the Azores.

Visiting Hours

  • Open for visit all wednesdays
  • 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – summer
  • 1:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. – Winter
  • Free and without registration.

Access to Arnel Lighthouse

Given the steep inclination of the access road to the lighthouse and the lack of on-site parking, it is advisable that the route be done on foot, with the vehicles in the parking lot of the Regional Road, next to the descent to the path of the fishing port .

 

Articles

Find More  

Azores Rallye ready to start!

The qualifying event is played again in the usual section of Remédios for another year and the rally itself, has its start on the same day with three specials. After a few years, the Coroa da Mata section rejoins the itinerary, although in a slightly longer version with 11.10km, followed by a new section starting in Mediana and ending in …

Continue reading